The global health certificate program is designed to assist traditional and nontraditional students with interests in global health.
- The graduate/professional certificate is available to graduate students and professional students in the health sciences.
- The capstone certificate is offered to University Special students who have earned a bachelor's degree and who have interest and/or experience in a global health-related field. Degree-seeking students may not enroll in the capstone certificate.
The program is based in the Department of Population Health Sciences in the School of Medicine and Public Health, and is administered by the campuswide Global Health Institute. The certificate curriculum focuses on global health topics and health issues that transcend national boundaries, emphasizing health and disease in developing countries.
Through a 9-credit program of preparatory coursework and culminating in a global-health field experience, students will be prepared to address health disparities in a context of cultural diversity. Certificate recipients may serve populations internationally or work among the increasingly diverse population of Wisconsin and the United States. Through core courses and electives, students may focus their studies on health promotion, detection and treatment of disease, prevention and management of outbreaks, health policy, environmental health, or other interdisciplinary topics.
Educational Benchmarks for Certificate Program
- Expansion and discussion of knowledge of major themes and trends in global health
- Enhancement of communication skills for trans-cultural, interdisciplinary health practice
- Demonstration of effective collaboration with colleagues abroad
- Analysis of health system infrastructures at local and national levels
- Discussion of ethical standards for conduct of research in international settings
- Integration of one’s discipline-specific role with other disciplines to promote effective interdisciplinary team practice
- Use of evidence-based principles in practice settings
Certificate program staff are identified on the program website.