The Doctoral Minor in Japanese is intended for students outside of the department to gain familiarity with the discipline in literature or linguistics generally while also honing an area of specialization.
- Meet with a faculty member in the Japanese studies program to discuss requirements and course options.
- Request a minor agreement form from the Graduate Program Coordinator.
- Submit the Ph.D. Minor in Japanese form and obtain the approval and signature of major professor.
- All Graduate School students must utilize the Graduate Student Portal in MyUW to add, change, or discontinue any doctoral minor. To apply to this minor, log in to MyUW, click on Graduate Student Portal, and then click on Add/Change Programs. Select the information for the doctoral minor.
- After you have completed the preliminary Ph.D. examinations, the Japanese studies advisor or ALC Director of Graduate Studies will sign the warrant indicating completion of the minor.
Students from other graduate programs intending to take a doctoral minor in Japanese should consult the director of graduate studies. For the minor, at least 12 credits in graduate courses are required (numbered 400 or above with the graduate attribute; certain courses numbered 300-399 are accepted with the prior consent of the program).
Faculty & staff
Please visit the Asian Languages & Cultures website for a complete list of faculty, instructional, and academic staff.