Decorative image

The Doctoral Minor in Japanese is intended for students outside of the department to gain familiarity with the discipline in literature or linguistics generally while also honing an area of specialization.

  • Meet with a faculty member in the Japanese studies program to discuss requirements and course options.
  • Request a minor agreement form from the Graduate Program Coordinator (
  • Submit the Ph.D. Minor in Japanese form and obtain the approval and signature of major professor. After you have completed the preliminary Ph.D. examinations, the Japanese studies advisor or ALC Director of Graduate Studies will sign the warrant indicating completion of the minor.

Students from other graduate programs intending to take a doctoral minor in Japanese should consult the director of graduate studies. For the minor, at least 12 credits in graduate-level courses are required (400 level or above; certain 300-level courses are accepted with the prior consent of the program).


Charo D'Etcheverry, Professor
Areas of Expertise: Classical Japanese literature (especially court fiction & its reception and early kabuki)

Naomi Geyer, Associate Professor
Areas of Expertise: Japanese Language, Language Pedagogy, Pragmatics
Adam L. Kern, Professor
Areas of Expertise: The popular literature, culture, poetry, theater, and visual culture of early modern unto modern Japan (1600-1900). Transcultural comics in Japan (manga, kibyôshi, etc) and beyond.
Junko Mori, Professor
Areas of Expertise: Japanese Linguistics, Applied Linguistics, Conversation Analysis, Sociolinguistics
Takako Nakakubo, Faculty Associate
Areas of Expertise: Second Language Acquisition of Japanese, Japanese Pedagogy, Learning Strategies
Steve Ridgely, Associate Professor
Areas of Expertise: modern Japanese literature, cultural theory, transasian studies