Students planning to minor in computer sciences should consult with the department’s Graduate Advising Committee. To obtain a doctoral minor, students must earn at least 9 credit hours in computer sciences courses, meeting the following requirements.
- All credits counted are for courses numbered 400 or above, excluding COMP SCI 400 Programming III
- At least 3 of the credits counted are for a course that involves a significant amount of programming in a structured language, such as C, C++, or Java. All courses that transitively depend on COMP SCI 400 Programming III meet this requirement.
- At least 3 of the credits counted focus on an area of CS not closely related to the student's major, as deemed by a member of the Graduate Advising Committee.
- At least 3 of the credits counted are for a course numbered 700 or above that is not an individual instruction course, was taught by a full time faculty member in CS, and for which the student received a grade on the A–F scale of at least B.
- At most 3 credits counted are for individual instruction courses, which are courses with a middle digit 9 that are intended for independent study or research.
- No credits counted are for thesis courses. These are courses with the last two digits 90 that are intended for thesis or project work.
- All credits counted have received a satisfactory grade.
- GPA of the credits counted is at least 3.00.
- No more than 5 credits counted are for coursework completed more than five years prior to admission to the Ph.D. program; no credits counted are for coursework taken 10 years ago or more.
Faculty: Professors Remzi Arpaci-Dusseau (chair), Akella, A. Arpaci-Dusseau, R. Arpaci-Dusseau, Bach, Banerjee, Barford, Cai, Chawla, Doan, Ferris, Gleicher, Jha, Livny, van Melkebeek, Miller, Patel, Reps, Ron, Sankaralingam, Sohi, Swift, Wright, Zhu; Associate Professors Mutlu, Sifakis; Assistant Professors Albarghouti, Chatterjee, D'Antoni, I. Diakonikolas, J. Diakonikolas, Gupta, Hsu, Koutris, Liang, Rekatsinas, Sinclair, Tzamos, Venkataraman, Yu. See also Faculty on the department website.