This is a named option in the Human Ecology MS and is a non-admitting program offered only for current students who were admitted to one of the named options in the Ph.D. in Human Ecology. Students interested in a terminal MS degree in Human Ecology should see the Human Ecology MS: Human Ecology named option for more information.

The MS Human Ecology: Human Ecology Research named option is offered for work leading to the Ph.D. Students may not apply directly for this MS named option as it is non-admitting.

Students interested in the MS in Human Ecology should apply to the admitting named option of MS Human Ecology: Human Ecology

Graduate School Resources

Resources to help you afford graduate study might include assistantships, fellowships, traineeships, and financial aid. Further funding information is available from the Graduate School. Be sure to check with your program for individual policies and restrictions related to funding.

Program Resources

Funding opportunities for Human Ecology graduate students are available and made possible, in large part, by generous donations to SoHE. Every year, these funds are used to fund teaching or project assistantships, award academic excellence scholarships, and provide students doing their masters or doctoral research or final MFA project with conference travel scholarships and graduate research scholarships. See the School of Human Ecology Enrollment Policy on Funding Eligibility and view current funding opportunities on our program website for more information.

On This Page

Major Requirements


Face to Face Evening/Weekend Online Hybrid Accelerated
Yes No No No No

Mode of Instruction Definitions


Minimum Credit Requirement 32 credits
Minimum Residence Credit Requirement 16 credits
Minimum Graduate Coursework Requirement 16 credits must be graduate-level coursework. Details can be found in the Graduate School’s Minimum Graduate Coursework (50%) policy (
Overall Graduate GPA Requirement 3.00 GPA
This program follows the Graduate School's GPA Requirement policy
Other Grade Requirements n/a
Assessments and Examinations Students may complete a thesis, but this is not a requirement of the MS Human Ecology: Human Ecology Research named option.
Language Requirements No language requirements.


All students are required to take the Inter-HE courses in addition to those within their subject area. The three required courses are listed below. The additional credits may be earned through a combination of research and coursework, to be determined by the advisor in consultation with the student. These courses can be within other subject areas in the School of Human Ecology and/or other related departments. Additionally, courses in SoHE such as independent study (699, 999) and research (990) may be included in the count towards the degree requirements. 

INTER-HE 792 Theories and Perspectives in Human Ecology1-2
INTER-HE 793 Research Methods3
INTER-HE 801 Special Topics in Human Ecology1-3

Graduate School Policies

The Graduate School’s Academic Policies and Procedures provide essential information regarding general university policies. Program authority to set degree policies beyond the minimum required by the Graduate School lies with the degree program faculty. Policies set by the academic degree program can be found below.

named option specific policies


Graduate Work from Other Institutions

With program approval, students are allowed to count up to 9 credits of graduate coursework taken at other institutions. Prior coursework taken at other institutions may not be used to satisfy the minimum graduate residence credit requirement. Credits earned five or more years prior to admission to a master’s degree are not allowed to satisfy requirements.

UW–Madison Undergraduate

With program approval, up to 7 credits numbered 300 or above from a UW–Madison undergraduate degree are allowed to count toward degree credit; undergraduate courses must be numbered 700 or above to count toward the minimum graduate coursework requirement. No undergraduate coursework may count toward the graduate residence requirement.

UW–Madison University Special

With program approval, students are allowed to count up to 9 credits of graduate coursework taken as a UW–Madison Special student. Coursework must be numbered 300 or above for residence and degree credit requirement and 700 or above for minimum graduate coursework (50%) requirement. Credits earned five or more years prior to admission to a master’s degree are not allowed to satisfy requirements. Use of Special student credit may require payment of tuition difference.


This program follows the Graduate School's Probation policy.


This program follows the Graduate School’s Advisor policy and the Graduate School’s Committees policy.


12 credits

TIME limits

This program follows the Graduate School's Time Limits policy.


School of Human Ecology graduate student grievance procedure

These resources may be helpful in addressing your concerns:



Graduate School Resources

Take advantage of the Graduate School's professional development resources to build skills, thrive academically, and launch your career. 

Program Resources

The School of Human Ecology Graduate Program values the professional development of graduate students and provides financial awards to those who are invited to present at professional conferences/exhibits. The purpose of the support is to encourage participation in professional development, scholarly research, and/or creative endeavor and to help cover expenses not covered by other sources. Students may receive a maximum award of $650 for travel ($750 for international travel) to support conference participation in a single academic year. Students are encouraged to seek conference and travel funding from the Graduate School as a first step and apply for supplemental funds through SoHE as needed. In addition, each academic department within the School of Human Ecology may offer additional professional development grant opportunities.

Visit the School of Human Ecology faculty and staff directory