Students interested in earning the Nuclear Engineering Doctoral minor should contact the NEEP Graduate Coordinator to learn the requirements, process, and complete the required paperwork.
Also, all Graduate School students must utilize the Graduate Student Portal in MyUW to add, change, or discontinue any doctoral minor or graduate/professional certificate. To apply to this minor, log in to MyUW, click on Graduate Student Portal, and then click on Add/Change Programs. Select the information for the doctoral minor for which you are applying.
- A minimum of four N E courses, 400 level or above, are required for the minor. These are decided in consultation with the student’s advisor.
- All courses used for the minor must be numbered 400 or above and taken after the bachelor’s degree.
- Ordinarily only one course (maximum of 3 credits) of independent study is allowed (N E 699 Advanced Independent Study, N E 999 Advanced Independent Study).
- Research and thesis courses may not be used for this minor.
- No more than 5 credits completed five or more years prior to admission to the doctoral major may be used.
- Courses taken 10 or more years ago may not be used.
- Courses taken pass/fail or for audit may not be used.
- Courses with grades of S given in courses graded on a credit/no credit basis are acceptable.
- A GPA of 3.0 must be maintained for the minor.
- A maximum of 6 credits may be transferred from other institutions to satisfy the minor requirements.
- The minor program must be approved by the chair of the Nuclear Engineering and Engineering Physics Graduate Studies Committee. The approval form is available from the NEEP Department’s College of Engineering Intranet site (NetID required) here or please contact Graduate Student Services.
- A student who has earned an M.S. degree in nuclear engineering and engineering physics (and is currently in a different doctoral program) will be considered to have fulfilled the minor requirements.
Paul Wilson (Chair)