The School of Human Ecology Honors Program provides an opportunity for students to pursue coursework in greater depth than is possible in regular courses. The honors program is a school-wide program open to students regardless of major. Honors program members are eligible to enroll in courses offered for honors-only credit, to participate in campus wide activities for honors program students, and to apply for special research-funding opportunities. Upon completion of the honors program requirements and degree requirements, the student will receive an honors degree from the School of Human Ecology. The transcript for a SoHE honors student who does not complete all honors degree requirements will have the honors designation next to honors courses completed.

Students interested in pursuing the School of Human Ecology Honors Programs should first meet with an academic advisor in the Advising & Career Center. Admission decisions are made by a faculty committee in the appropriate SoHE department and will take into consideration the eligibility criteria listed below and the strength of the written application.

  • Freshmen. Admission as a newly enrolled freshman requires a 3.3 grade point average or high school class ranking in the top 10% and a composite ACT score of 27 or a combined SAT score of 1100.
  • Continuing Students. Admission of currently enrolled students requires a minimum 3.3 grade point average. Students, both transfer and those currently enrolled in SoHE, may apply for entrance to the Honors Program in any semester of their undergraduate career after the 3.3 minimum grade point average has been established.

In addition to the School of Human Ecology degree requirements, honors program students must:

  • Complete a total of at least 24 honors credits, with at least 12 of the honors credits obtained in Human Ecology coursework.
  • Maintain a minimum grade point average of 3.3 in all UW-Madison courses to continue in the honors program.
  • Receive a grade of B or above in a course to receive honors credit for that course.
  • Complete an honors thesis for at least three, but no more than six, senior honors thesis credits. Students are strongly recommended to consider registering for two semesters of senior honors thesis credits for adequate time to plan and complete the senior honors thesis. Senior honors thesis credits may count toward the 12 credits minimum of Human Ecology honors credits.

Advising & Career Center 

The Advising & Career Center (ACC) fosters undergraduate students' personal, academic, and professional development. Through advising, academic planning, and career education, we support students as they navigate the college experience—from exploring our majors as prospective students to becoming SoHE alumni. 

Academic Advising

Each SoHE student is assigned to an academic advisor in the Advising & Career Center. SoHE academic advisors support academic and personal success by partnering with current and prospective SoHE students as they identify and clarify their educational goals, develop meaningful academic plans, and pursue their own Wisconsin Experience. 

To explore academic advising resources or schedule an appointment with a SoHE academic advisor, visit Advising in SoHE


Active engagement in the career development process is a vital component of a student’s personal growth in college and future success as a lifelong learner, professional, and global citizen. SoHE career advisors help prepare students for life post-graduation through advising and integration of career readiness throughout our curriculum.

To explore career development resources or schedule an appointment with a SoHE career advisor, visit Career Development.


The School of Human Ecology awards many merit and need-based scholarships each year. The deadline to apply for scholarships is typically late January. To be eligible for these awards, scholarship recipients must be registered as full-time SoHE students.

Students who experience emergency financial situations may inquire about the availability of short-term loans through the SoHE Advising & Career Center. In addition, university scholarships, loans, and employment are available through the Office of Student Financial Aid (333 East Campus Mall; 608-262-3060).