Download the Graduate TESOL application
- Student Status. Enrollment in any one of the required certificate courses along with enrollment in a graduate degree program at UW–Madison.
- Foreign Language. Satisfactorily complete at least four college-level terms (or the equivalent, such as four years in high school) of a modern foreign language, including its spoken form. For nonnative English speakers, English is considered the foreign language.
- Demonstrate English proficiency of spoken and written English commensurate with the role of language model. Nonnative English speakers must have a score of at least:
For further information please contact one of following:
- 9 credits of required graduate-level courses listed below along with all prerequisites and language requirements.
- A grade point average of 3.0 in all required courses except English 613–618, which are graded as Credit/No Credit.
- Teaching practice. This requirement is normally fulfilled by completion of ENGL 515.
- All requirements for the certificate in TESOL must be satisfied within three successive academic years.
- Nonnative English speakers must take the SPEAK test and receive a score of 50 or higher (or take a comparable test as mentioned in "admissions requirements" above.
Prerequisite Courses (can be taken at any time)
|ENGL 314||Structure of English||3|
|ENGL 315||English Phonology||3|
|ENGL 318||Second Language Acquisition||3|
|Courses on Social Perspectives on English|
|Select one of the following:||3|
|English Language Variation in the U.S.|
|Global Spread of English|
|English in Society|
Required TESOL Graduate Certificate Courses
|Must be taken for graduate credit|
|TESOL Foundation Course|
|ENGL 415||Introduction to TESOL Methods||3|
|Courses on Second Language Teaching|
|ENGL 515||Techniques and Materials for TESOL||3|
|Select three of the following:||3|
|TESOL: Pedagogical Grammar I|
|TESOL: Pedagogical Grammar II|
|TESOL: Teaching Listening and Speaking|
|TESOL: Teaching of Reading|
|TESOL: Teaching of Writing|
|TESOL: Teaching Pronunciation|