Students who are undergraduates in good standing at another U.S. college or university are eligible for admission as a University Special student. They are admitted with the understanding that they will either return to their primary institution or attend another university after one term at UW–Madison. Visiting undergraduates are assessed tuition at the undergraduate student rate (Wisconsin resident or nonresident) unless students are participating in a program that has a nonstandard tuition rate.

Visiting undergraduates are admitted for one term only. Those with extenuating circumstances or particular academic needs may appeal to attend UW–Madison for consecutive terms. The appeal must include a statement of support from a dean at the home institution. 

It is the visiting student's responsibility to work out a credit transfer plan with the advisor at the college or university that will confer their undergraduate degree. There is no guarantee that credits earned at UW–Madison will apply toward fulfilling degree requirements at another university.

How to Get in

There is no application fee. Apply using the University Special student application at least one month before the start of the term as it can take two to three weeks to review and process an application. UNVS is the designation on the application and course roster. As a visiting undergraduate, a transcript from the home college or university is required to confirm the admissions criteria of good standing and 2.0 minimum GPA are met. The transcript may be sent via email to (Recent high school graduates without a college record must submit a high school transcript.)

Recent high school graduates or graduating seniors who have been admitted and will enroll at another college or university as an undergraduate may apply for visiting undergraduate status for the summer term or semester following high school graduation. It is the student's responsibility to make sure this is permitted by the college to be entered in the next term. To be admitted as a visiting student without a college record, students must have a minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA in high school. Graduating high school seniors who will enroll as undergraduates at UW–Madison in the fall term and wish to begin their studies in the summer term must contact the Office of Admissions and Recruitment to change their admission term from fall to summer.