The program is available to students attending a university abroad which has a formal exchange agreement with UW–Madison. Students work directly with their home university's exchange/study abroad office for the admissions and enrollment procedures.

All formal exchange students, except those pursuing law studies, are admitted by the Adult Career and Special Student Services (ACSSS) office, which also serves as the academic dean's office. 

How to Get in

Students who wish to come to UW–Madison on a formal exchange program must work directly with their home school’s exchange/study abroad office to review application deadlines and admissions requirements (including TOEFL score). The exchange coordinator will provide participating students with a direct link to the application which is appropriate for the UW–Madison program. Students seeking admission to study abroad programs will be admitted as a University Special student with the designation of UNIS on the application and the class roster. 


Types of Study