There is no application fee. Apply by using the University Special student Application at least one month before the start of the term as it can take one to two weeks to review and process an application. An official transcript is typically not needed. 

University Special students admitted in the UNDS and UNRS classifications are eligible to enroll in any course for which they are qualified or receive instructor permission, if there is space available. This includes both undergraduate and graduate level courses. Undergraduate courses at UW–Madison are numbered 100 to 699. Graduate level courses number 300 to 999.