The Graduate School can authorize special committees to supervise master's or doctoral programs for students whose needs cannot be met within an established program. Students must first be accepted into a graduate-degree-granting program and establish one semester of full-time graduate work at UW–Madison, and then the faculty advisor should submit a proposal for a special committee degree. Students should check with the Graduate School and the individual faculty member with whom they are interested in working.